Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Expanding Your Horizons Challenge

Book Nut's Expanding Horizons challenge fits in perfectly with my Reading Across Borders long-term challenge. Here is a preliminary list of books I would like to read for the challenge. I'll probably narrow down my choices closer to January.

1. African/African-American
Links - Nuruddin Farah (Somalia) (Finished 08 Jan 2008)
A Long Way Gone - Ishmael Beah (Sierra Leone)
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - Maya Angelou

2. Asian/Asian-American
Red Poppies - Alai (Tibet)
Dream of the Red Chamber - Tsao Hsueh-Chin (China)

3. Hispanic/Latin American
Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Motorcycle Diaries - Che Guevera (Finished 20 April 2008)
The Essential Neruda - Pablo Neruda

4. Indian/Indian-American
Climbing the Mango Trees - Jaffrey Madhur
Serving Crazy with Curry - Amulya Malladi
The Space Between Us - Thrity Umrigar

5. Middle Eastern (Iran, Iraq, Israel, Palestine, Turkey...)
Istanbul - Orhan Pamuk (Turkey)
Gate of the Sun - Elias Khoury (Lebanon) (finished 28 March 2008)
A Sky So Close or Absent - Betool Khedairi (Iraq)
The Yacoubian Building - Alaa Al Aswany

6. Native Peoples
Where We Once Belonged - Sia Fielgel (Samoa)
The Birchbark House - Louise Erdrich (finished 7 April 2008)

9 comments:

Melissa said...

That's quite a list! I'll be interested in seeing which ones you choose come January. :)

Nyssaneala said...

melissa - It's going to be a hard list to narrow down!

3M said...

Great list! I really want to read Gate of the Sun by Elias Khoury at some point.

iliana said...

This challenge is a good one isn't it? I'm considering it...

I can definitely recommend Love in the Time of Cholera and The Yacoubian Building. You've got some other books on here that I've had my eye on for a while too.

Nyssaneala said...

3m - Thanks! I've heard a lot of great things about Gate of the Sun, I really hope to get to it sometime next year.

iliana - Love in the Time of Cholera is one of my alternates for Joy's 2nds challenge, so I should be reading it sometime soon no matter what! You're the third person to recommend Youbian Building...good sign!

Eva said...

I really enjoyed Love in the Time of Cholera and The Space Between Us. :)

Nyssaneala said...

eva - good to know! Ever since I read 100 Years of Solitude 2 years ago, I have been looking to delving into Love in the Time of Cholera!

Anonymous said...

I definitely recommend the Essential Neruda. Pablo is so amazing! The editor of that book also started this non-profit that is devoted to furthering Neruda's work.

Daniela said...

Interesting post. I have been wondering about this issue,so thanks for posting. I’ll likely be coming back to your blog. Keep up great writing. Find your great Travel News and sing the songs at Free Song Lyric or you can watch the drama at Korea Drama Online one of great korea drama is A Love to Kill if you go to travel to Indonesia learn Learn Indonesia Language first! And find your home cari rumah or make a blog Belajar membuat Blog find your home again rumah dijual and again at jual rumah the point is cari rumah, jual rumah, rumah dijual, download youtube and find blog widget and then if you want buy a new laptop see the Laptop Price List or you can buy a New Blackberry and then take care your Health & Jewerly good job, very great article Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual Thanks ever so much Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual very useful article Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual Great information Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual I like your blog Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual I will be checking back for any new articles Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual just bookmarked it for later reference Cari Rumah, Jual Rumah, Rumah dijual, free scholarships, Wikilaw, eporchshop, free wallpapers, free gadgets. Thanks for kindly sharing it with us. Very well done indeed