Sunday, November 4, 2007

What's In A Name Challenge


From: All 0f 2008
Host: Words by Annie

The challenge is to read one book for each category below. As with most of my upcoming challenges, I am leaving myself a lot of options...and room to change.

1. A book with a color in its title:
- The Bluest Eye - Toni Morrison (finished 12 February 2008)
- Red Poppies - Alai
- Blue Latitudes -Tony Horwitz
- The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne

2. A book with an animal in its title:

- Tears of the Giraffe - Alexander McCall Smith (finished 17 June 2008)
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - Maya Angelou
- Some Tame Gazelle - Barbara Pym
- The Way to the Cats - Yehoshua Kenaz
- The Horse Whisperer - Nicholas Evans - DNF

3. A book with a character's first name in its title:
- Rebecca - Daphne de Maurier
- Sarah, Plain and Tall - Patricia MacLachlan (finished 28 January 2008)
- Esperanza Rising - Pam Munoz Ryan

4. A book with a place in its title:
-Istanbul - Orhan Pamuk
- The News from Paraguay - Lily Tuck (finished 5 August 2008)
- The Bookseller of Kabul - Asne Seierstad

5. A book with a weather event in the title:
- The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Luiz Zafon
- The Character of Rain - Amelie Nothomb
- Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Lisa See - (finished 27 April 2008)
- A High Wind in Jamaica - Richard Hughes

6. A book with a plant in its title:
- The Birchbark House - Louise Erdrich (finished 8 April 2008)
- The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco

8 comments:

Joy said...

Lots of great choices Nyssaneala! :)

Debi said...

Wow...what a great list of choices!

Debi said...

By the way, I loved Esperanza Rising...really good book!

Nyssaneala said...

joy - Thanks! I certainly gave myself a lot to choose from.

debi - I actually got Esperanza Rising for free in September. Our public library was giving out copies since it was Baltimore's Book this past summer. I didn't get a chance to read it then, but I still want to check it out!

raidergirl3 said...

Great list, it was so much fun to pick out books for this one. I loved Istanbul, I had visited it a few months before I read it.

alisonwonderland said...

i want to do this challenge too - so i came to see what titles you chose. you've got some good ones! like debi, i loved Esperanza Rising. happy reading!

Eva said...

Ohh-I loved The Bookseller of Kabul!

I'm so tempted by this challenge. :)

Nyssaneala said...

raidergirl3 - What a great experience! I was supposed to visit Turkey in 2000, but had to change plans (long story!). I really hope to make it there someday.

alison - another rec for Esperanza, I might have to move that one further up my list of preferences!

eva - I think I was drawn in to this challenge by the fun of picking out the books. :)