Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Book Awards II Challenge


I finally have a chance to think about which books I would like to read for Michelle's follow-up to the first Book Awards Challenge. The rules are slightly different this time around: 10 books over 10 months, and five different awards must be represented. Some of my choices this time were the books I did not get to on last year's preliminary list.

A tentative selection:
  • Walk Two Moons - Sharon Creech (Newbery)
  • Parable of the Talents - Octavia Butler (Nebula)
  • Bel Canto - Ann Patchett (PEN/Faulkner; Orange; NBCC)
  • Hotel Du Lac  - Anita Brookner (Booker)
  • The Cairo Trilogy - Naguib Mahfouz (Nobel)
  • Flotsam - David Weisner (Caldecott)
  • Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha - Roddy Doyle (Booker)
  • The English Patient - Michael Ondaatje (Booker)
  • Sophie's Choice - William Styron (NBA)
  • Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides (Pulitzer)
To see what I read for the first challenge, go here.

6 comments:

bookinhand said...

I've read Walk Two Moons and Middlesex. Both are very good!! I look forward to your reviews for a couple others that are of interest to me! Diane

Iliana said...

This challenge sounds oh so tempting! You've got some good books on there - some I've been meaning to read one of these days. I do hope you enjoy Hotel du Lac. Loved that book. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

What a great list, Alisia!

I have heard lots of good things about Bel Canto; I have Run on my TBR-pile, but Bel Canto sounds interesting too.

I read Hotel du Lac way back in high school and I only remember I didn't care for it at all. That may have been the age, though. It is one of the books I'd like to reread to see what I make of it with fifteen more years of life and experience under my belt.

The Cairo Trilogy is on my TBR-pile . I am seriously thinking about picking it up some time over the summer. I am looking forward to those three books so much!

Middlesex is the only one on your list I have actually read. I loved it, but I needed a bit of time to get into the book.

Anonymous said...

I'm doing this challenge, too. In fact, I'm reading my first book for it right now. It was fun to see your list - we don't have any books in common.

Brandi said...

As an avid reader myself, I would definately recommend Bel Canto- it is a very well written book with a unique story. I hope you enjoy it.

Also, I just discovered your blog, and I already love it. Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Cosmic Consultancy is a detective agency in Mumbai, which provides highly professional and discreet detective services in Mumbai and PAN India basis. We specialize in Pre and Post Matrimonial Investigation
Detective agency in Mumbai, Detectives in Mumbai, Detective in Mumbai, Detective agencies in Mumbai, Detective service in Mumbai, Mumbai detectives, Private detectives in Mumbai, Private investigators in Mumbai, Private investigation agency in Mumbai, Detective agency, Detective Mumbai, Private investigator Mumbai, Detective services Mumbai, Detective agency Mumbai, Private investigation service, Private detective Mumbai, Investigation services Mumbai, Investigation agency Mumbai, Investigation services,

www.cosmicconsultancy.in