Monday, June 18, 2007

Blogging about baby

I'm determined to do everything I can to encourage reading in our children. Yes, even though the baby probably can't hear me until the end of the second trimester, I have already started reading to the wee one. We are currently reading through Sun Stories by Carolyn McVickar Edwards, a book of stories from around the world that celebrate the role of the sun in our lives. Some of our other favorites are:
- Mother Goose
- Madeline
- Goodnight Moon
- The Little Prince (my hubby reads this one in French, I read it in English)

Granted, we have somewhat slim selections at the moment, as our library does not contain too many children's books!

Of course, there is also the very exciting news that I felt the baby for the first time last week! (Well, I'm about 95% positive it was the baby. I know it definitely wasn't gas!) It couldn't have happened at a better location; I was laying on the beach reading a book when I felt what I can only describe as a little "rolling" feeling. Honestly, I have no idea how to describe it. But, yesterday I felt the same thing again, once while laying on my stomach (which is getting a little harder to do these days), and once while on my back, so I'm pretty sure it's the little bub. Hopefully the first feeling was our baby expressing his/her delight at being at the beach! For right now, I'm the only one that can feel anything, so it is quite a special bonding moment. Poor hubby is anxiously awaiting the first time that he can also feel the baby move.

I am actually starting to get nervous about our ultrasound on the 29th, when they do an anatomical check and let us know what gender our baby is. We have been hoping for a girl fairly strongly these last few months. I know a baby, in whatever gender, shape and form they choose to emerge will be loved and cherished, but I am afraid of an initial disappointment if we find out that it is a boy.

It will also be a relief to know that there are no major problems anatomically. Hubby's cousin recently had to have a medical abortion in her 21st week, after her ultrasound showed anencephaly, with no hope of the baby's survival. I don't really think about negative scenarios very often since so far I have had a completely healthy pregnancy and a baby in utero with a strong and normal heartbeat, but I will be very happy to get over that 20 week hump.

8 comments:

Laura said...

Yes, you felt it! Even though it's been 12 years since I last felt that "little 'rolling' feeling," it's something you never forget & those are perfect words to describe it. It made me smile.

Not too much longer & you'll be able to see it! It's a wonderful time, glad to hear things are going well.

Lotus Reads said...

Congratulations, I didn't know you were expecting! I think it's so wonderful you are already reading to your baby...I did the same thing and played lots of music too! Glad you're keeping well!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but I also didn't know you were expecting. That's wonderful! Many congrats to you. I wish you tons of luck at your next appointment and hope that all will go well.

maggie moran said...

Keep up the reading to your tummy, it works! I knew a mother that did this and her child knew how to read before kindergarten! It was so sweet to wait on the mother-to-be, knowing she would be sitting the book on her belly and just being silly. :D

Kelly said...

I am planning on reading to my future kids while they are in the womb as well

Nyssaneala said...

@Laura - I'm glad to hear I brought a smile to your face. I'm definitely looking forward to the day I can see the little bub!

@lotus reads - Thanks! I haven't started playing music yet, but I probably will before long

@iliana - Thank you! I will definitely have an update after the ultrasound!

@maggie - I'm trying to convince my husband to join in. He think I'm a bit silly for starting so early.

@myutopia - it's just fun to do, don't you think?

Camille said...

Congratulations! I read a little bit to our kids before they were born, and now we read a lot. Mine are 3(almost) and 4 months and the three-year-old loves his books. Don't know if he'll be a bookworm, though, 'cause his dad is an engineer and NOT a bookworm and he seems to think like him already. But we'll see. As long as he still likes to read, that'll be great.

Dewey said...

I think reading to your child in the womb is a wonderful thing! When my son was born 2 months premature, they had me read Dr Seuss into a tape player, and then kept it playing in his incubator (I was still hospitalized on another floor). They said it was just that they wanted him to hear my voice, which they said he could recognize, but he did turn out to be the book-lovingest boy I know! And as Maggie said, he could read on his own quite early!