1. Word Count: 85,141 words.
2. Character based on a real person: The character of Gilderoy Lockhart is the one Rowling says is most nearly based on a real person, but she won't say who it is (for obvious reasons).
3. Writer's Block: Rowling's only case of writer's block occurred while writing this book, after her first bout of publicity for the first Harry Potter book.
4. Hogwarts Motto: Draco dormians nunquam titillandus!
Translation: A sleeping dragon must never be tickled!
5. Mandrakes: You know a mandrake has reached adulthood when they start trying to move into each other's pots. In the book, this is preceded by 'teenage' Mandrakes throwing a loud and raucous party in the greenhouse.
6. Movie tidbit: Fourteen Ford Anglia's were destroyed to create the Harry and Ron flying car/Whomping Willow sequence.
7. ***SPOILER***Salazar Slytherin: Dumbledore says that Voldemort was the last remaining ancestor of Salazar Slytherin, instead of descendant. J.K. Rowling said this was a "deliberate mistake". This mistake was fixed in further printings.
8. Ghosts: At his deathday party, Nearly Headless Nick "took several deep breaths". But later in the series, Moaning Myrtle says that ghosts don't breathe.
Monday, July 2, 2007
Denmark Cover Art