Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Sarah, Plain and Tall - Patricia MacLachlan

Title: Sarah, Plain and Tall
Author: Patricia MacLachlan
Country: USA
Year: 1985
Rating: 3.5 of 5
Pages: 64

First sentence: "Did Mama sing every day?" asked Caleb.

In the late 19th century, a farmer and his two children on the great Plains puts in an advertisement for a wife. When Sarah replies, and arrives from Maine, Anna and Caleb do everything they can to convince her to stay, despite her homesickness for her family and the sea.

This is the premise of Sarah, Plain and Tall, a story about acceptance, loss and love. The story did not capture my emotions in the same way that other Newbery winners have in the past. I found the characters to be a bit one-dimensional and flat. It was hard to get past the "mail-order bride" vibe that ranckled my inner feminist. However, the story is not that simple, and is sweetly seen from the eyes of Anna and Caleb. To them, their whole world is resting on Sarah's decision whether to leave or stay. It is a nice story for young kids.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This seems to a sweet book!

BTW, I have tagged you for a meme!! You will like it!

Shelley said...

I just finished listening to this one. I have yet to review it, but what I liked best about it was that even though Sarah was a mail-order bride, I felt like she was unique and independent. I wondered if it was common at that time for men to send out for wives? Something to research!

Paula said...

This was one of my Mom's favorite books when I was growing up. I haven't read it in years, but remember liking the fact that even though Sarah was a mail-order bride she was a very strong person with a mind of her own. She choose to make her own decisions and not just be a victim. I enjoyed your review.