Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Author: Alexander McCall Smith
Country: Zimbabwe/UK
Year: 1998
Pages: 235 pgs.
Rating: 5 out of 5

First sentence: Mma Ramotswe had a detective agency in Africa, at the foot of Kgale Hill.

Agatha Christie's Miss Marple has long been my favorite on the mystery scene. However, she now has strong competition with Mma (Precious) Ramotswe, the one and only lady detective in all of Botswana.

After her father's death, Mma Ramotswe sells her inheritance, a herd of cows, to set up shop as a detective in Gaborone, Botswana. Her agency, The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, is the only one of its kind, and it is not too long before clients begin seeking out her services. This book, the first in the series, seems to be laying the groundwork for future adventures.

Precious Ramotswe is a delight! She is a warm, compassionate, intuitive African lady, and is the embodiment of all that modern Africa is striving to be. With a love for the red desert earth she grew up next to, she is proud of her country, and I loved to read about her reflections of Botswanan life.  Her sense of humor is contagious, and I look forward to reading more of the series. And, although I have been to South Africa before (Mma Ramotswe lives very close to the Botswana/South Africa border), I can now add Botswana to the list of countries I would like to visit!

13 comments:

SuziQoregon said...

If you are interested in audiobooks at all I can highly recommend the audio versions of this series. They're read by Lisette Lecat and she's wonderful.

Eva said...

My mom has several of these series, and if you're comparing them to Miss Marple I think I might have to check them out!

Myrthe said...

I recently read this book as well and I loved it!

Click on my name and the link will take you straight to my review.

3m said...

I've really enjoyed this series!

Literary Feline said...

This is such an enjoyable series. I am glad you liked the first book! Mma Ramostswe is one of those characters I would love to share tea with.

Joy said...

Hi Nyssaneala! I'm so glad you liked this so much. I think your comparison to Miss Marple is a good one. Also, I agree with Suzi about listening to this series. It's been enjoyable.

John said...

If you are looking for reliable security guards who can act as doorkeepers for your company with devotion and effectiveness, then without further delay, come in touch with http://www.servelsecurity.net .Just approach servel security online and find the right security guard.

Unknown said...

What a fantastic blog I have ever seen. I didn’t find this kind of information till now. Thank you so much for sharing this information. Detective Agency in Delhi

Detectives Mumbai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Detectives Mumbai said...

Happy to see your video Detective Agency as it is just what I’ve looking for. Detective Agency in Mumbai

Unknown said...

Happy to see your Detective Agency Services blog as it is just what I’ve looking for. I am looking forward to another great article from you. Detective Agency in Delhi

Margaret Harvey said...

I believe that it is best to use Private Investigator Brisbane to solve the case of cyber stalking or any form of cyber crimes as such. It is somehow noted that this is most prevalent among youngsters and teenagers. Come in touch with http://www.graingerinvestigations.com.au/ No one can as good as the Private Investigator Ipswich in Internet crime cases.

Detectives Mumbai said...

Thanks for sharing these type of blog. We are looking another from you. We are the best. Personal Detectives in Mumbai