Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tears of the Giraffe - Alexander McCall Smith

Title: Tears of the Giraffe
Author: Alexander McCall Smith
Country: British Lit
Year: 2000
Pages: 227
Rating: 4 out of 5

Tears of the Giraffe, the second book in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith, is a fine following to the first in the series. Not a typical mystery series, there is no complex, intertwining mystery that needs to be solved. Instead, a few small cases are interspersed around a focus on Mma Ramotswe's relationship with Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni, their upcoming marriage, and the impromptu adoption of two orphans. I whip through books in this series, and they are a wonderful, enjoyable escape from the drudgery of packing up a house!

One of the most beautiful quotes from the book is where the book draws its title from:
It was a traditional Botswana basket, with a design worked into the weaving.
"These little marks here are tears," she said. "The giraffe gives its tears to the women and they weave them into the basket."..."You are very kind, Mma", she said. "But why did the giraffe give its tears?"
Mma Ramotswe shrugged; she had never thought about it. "I suppose that it means that we can all give something," she said. A giraffe has nothing else to give--only tears." (p.226)

5 comments:

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

I keep hearing about these books lately. I haven't read any of them yet....but I think I must!!!
Thanks for the review!

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

and I LOVE that quote!

Anonymous said...

I have this one on my pile for the Read-a-thon. I am looking forward to it!

Literary Feline said...

I do enjoy this series. It's nice for taking a break from the hustle and bustle of life. There is a simpleness to these books which I find refreshing.

Suko said...

Better late than never-- I've just read your post! I, too, enjoyed the meaning of the title. These books are not mysteries in the traditional sense, but stories about people and a nation that you fall in love with.

I read ALL the books in The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series this summer. I found them delectable and highly addictive, and dedicated several posts to them on my own blog about books, Suko's Notebook. Please stop by when you get a moment. :)