Thursday, July 10, 2008

Booking Through Thursday - July 10


One of my favorite bookstores burned down last weekend, and while I only got to visit there while I was on vacation, it made me stop and think.

What would you do if, all of a sudden, your favorite source of books was unavailable?

Whether it’s a local book shop, your town library, or an internet shop … what would you do if, suddenly, they were out of business? Devastatingly, and with no warning? Where would you go for books instead? What would you do? If it was a local business you would try to help out the owners? Would you just calmly start buying from some other store? Visit the library in the next town instead? Would it be devastating? Or just a blip in your reading habit?


Don’t forget to leave a link to your 
actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!


I don't even want to think about it! My favorite source for books is the library, and I would be devastated if our local one burned down. Not only would it be a loss of thousands of books, but it would be the destruction of a meeting place for the community. Our (new) public library has children's storytimes, arts and crafts programs, a meeting rooms for all types of community organizations, a location to hold ESL classes, computer classes...the list goes on and on.


What would I do? I would chip in to help rebuild. I would donate time and energy, and money; I would help organize fundraisers, and share my grantwriting skills to help the library bounce back.



2 comments:

Eva said...

Ugh: if my library burned down I would be soooo sad!! Even though most of the books I want are in a different branch, just the idea of a library burning is very upsetting. More upsetting to me than a bookstore burning, which is kind of weird I guess.

Literary Feline said...

It would be such a big loss if a library or bookstore would burn down. There may be other places to get books, but I would feel so awful for the people impacted by the fire.