Sunday, July 20, 2008

A quick Meme

So, instead of doing the Positive Discipline review, I've decided to do the meme that Seachanges tagged me for.


What were you doing five years ago?

Let's see. That would be July 2003. Aahh! I would have been celebrating the completion of my master's thesis, skipping the graduation ceremony, and laughing at how fake the University of Queensland, Australia diploma looks in comparison to my undergrad one from the University of Pittsburgh. My degree was a Master's in International Relations and Asian Politics. Quite a mouthful. In recent years, I've dropped the "Asian Politics" when telling people what degree I hold.

Five snacks I enjoy in a perfect, non-weight-gaining world:
1. Chocolate brownies.
2. Tiramisu
3. Tim Tams
4. Chewy chocolate-chip cookies
5. Iced mocha's

Can you tell I like chocolate?

Five snacks I enjoy in the real world:
1. Fruit smoothies
2. Chocolate brownies
3. Trail mix of my own design (dried cranberries, roasted unsalted almonds, cashews, peanuts, seeds of some sort, and ginger pieces)
4. Pita chips
5. Trader Joe's fruit leather

Five things I would do if I were a billionnaire:
1. Pay off my husband's school loans
2. Start a foundation to help women and kids suffering from severe burns to come to the United States to receive treatment. The foundation would also fund programs that help doctors and hospitals in developing countries receive training and equipment needed to treat severe burns.
3. Buy a house.
4. Travel the world. Over and over again!
5. Donate large sums of money to Habitat for Humanity, as well as various micro-enterprise programs.

Five (non-academic) jobs that I have had:
Well, the only academic job I have ever had is a student. So...
1. Joint Director of an asylum seeker support centre.
2. Sales Associate for Sheridan, Australia.
3. Hostess at Red Lobster.
4. Salesperson at Sally Beauty Supply. (It was horrible. I rarely wear makeup, never style my hair...I knew nothing)
5. Freelance grant-writer.

Five habits:
1. Chewing on my shirt collar when I am thinking.
2. Losing my keys.
3. Reading.
4. Prone to over-reacting.
5. Drink different types of tea in certain ways (green tea with a touch of honey, herbal teas plain, ceylon tea with milk and sugar)

Five places I have lived:
1. Seattle, Washington
2. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3. Brisbane, Queensland (Australia)
4. Baltimore, Maryland
5. North Brunswick, New Jersey

Five people I want to get to know better (and should consider themselves tagged!)

6 comments:

Eva said...

Milk and sugar in ceylon is one of my favourites too! :)

And I'm with you on the weird masters thing...when I tell people I'm going to grad school in the fall, they ask what in. Then I say "Nonproliferation studies" and they almost all get the exact same look on their faces. When I first got in, my mom kept telling people I was getting a degree in "proliferation studies." :p

Anonymous said...

Why burn victims, in particular? It sounds as if there's a story there.

Nyssaneala said...

eva - my parents never quite got my masters degree, either. :) Is your degree specifically nonproliferation, or will that be your concentration? I had a few peacekeeping/nonprolif. courses, and enjoyed them all.

shereadsbooks - More a topic that has really capture my heart! It stems from my master's thesis, and the research I did about women who were victims of acid burns and honor killings. My husband is a surgical resident, so we know lots of doctors, and I've always wanted to start a nonprofit to help women who are victims of attempted honor killings get medical treatment and reconstructive surgery to regain some semblance of a normal life.

Anonymous said...

Mm I love the Tiramisu - that sooo bad for you but just the limit! What does a freelance grant-writer do??

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Ok, this has nothing to do with this post ... it's just my response to your comment here:

"The Planets" is an excellent book for all of us non-science-people out there. It's very well written and I'm enjoying it greatly. It was written before Plutos's official demotion but not before the controversy about it; the book takes into account all the evidence on both sides - I quite enjoyed the discussion about Pluto, and they didn't seem outdated.

Please drop back by my blog when you finish reading this. I'll have my review up by then, and I'd love to hear YOUR thoughts.

maggie moran said...

How cool! I'm on vacation, but I promise when I get back!!! Wi-fi is iffy! :) Thank You!