Sunday, September 23, 2007

Book Memories Meme

I found this one at SMS Book Reviews.

20 Years Ago: (age 8)
I'm not sure what I was reading at age 8. I know I was reading chapter books by that age, probably along the lines of Charlotte's Web and definitely Ramona Quimby, Age 8. I also loved Pippi Longstocking.

10 Years Ago: (age 18)
This was just my last year of high school and the beginning of college. I read a lot that summer because I was ill with mono. Probably books by Stephen King and Dean Koontz. Lots of light fiction.

5 Years Ago: (age 23)
I was in the middle of writing my master's thesis, so I read a lot of non-fiction and current events books. In my spare time, I discovered Graham Greene and Janet Evanovich, and read more of Barbara Kingsolver.

3 Years ago: (age 25)
I started keeping track of the books I read in this year. Highlights include Agatha Christie mysteries, The Kite Runner, and novels by Australian authors Nick Earls and Tim Winton.

Last Year: (age 27)
I started the year strong on non-fiction with books about Frida Kahlo and Winterdance by Gary Paulsen (the latter was read on the plane to our honeymoon destination in Banff, Alberta, Canada. I revisited L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Avonlea series, and read quite a few award winners and shortlisted books.

This Month: (age 28)
This month I'm taking a break from pregnancy/breastfeeding/parenting books with The Hours, The Namesake, Human Cargo, and A Woman in Jerusalem.

3 Favorite Reading Locations:

My bed, the couch, our patio in the morning or evening.

3 Reading habits:
Reading every night before I fall asleep
Sometimes reading to put myself to sleep
Telling the nearest person about the interesting parts of a book as I read them. My husband *loves* me for this one!

3 Things that distract me:
Internet!
Our cat
The standards of pregnancy: an irrepressible bladder, fatigue, hunger.

3 Characters I’d love to be:
In another 40 years or so, I would love to be Agatha Christie's Miss Marple.

3 Characters I despise:
Cathy/Kate from East of Eden

3 Favorite Book Beverages:
Tea
Water
Wine

3 Favorite bookmarks:
I always pick up those free bookmarks found at bookstores, since I tend to lose bookmarks all the time. I have also been using the home-made bookmark that Bookfool at Bookfoolery and Babble sent me for being a runner up in the Chunkster Challenge drawing.

3 Dead Writers I’d love to meet:
Jane Austen
John Steinbeck
Virginia Woolf

3 Alive Writers I’d love to meet:
Margaret Atwood
Isabel Allende
Chinua Achebe

3 comments:

Booklogged said...

Enjoyed reading your answers to this meme.

Dewey said...

I've met Margaret Atwood! But she just signed my book and said thanks. Still, she gave a 2 hour talk before that, so it was quite an experience.

People keep mentioning wine, and although I love wine, I just get sleepy if I drink wine while reading.

Bookfool said...

What a cool meme! I'm not sure I could do this one without gathering some calendars together. For about the last 5 years or so, I've written down the titles of books on the date I've completed them, in my calendars. But, they're lying about in no particular order.

It's always fun to see mention of my bookmarks. I'm glad you're making good use of yours!!