Sunday, September 2, 2007

BookPage Inspired Desires

I picked up the August edition of Bookpage at the library this weekend, and there were quite a few books that caught my interest. And thank you to Dewey at the hidden side of a leaf for the inspiration in how I formatted this post.
Strawberry Fields by Marina Lewycka. Marina's first book, A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian, fits the rare category of books that have made me laugh out loud in public. It was a delight to read, so I'm looking forward to checking out her latest, a dark, comic trip through rural England as told by migrant workers on a strawberry farm.

Consumption by Kevin Patterson. A young Inuit woman returns to her home at Rankin Inlet after spending sex years at a sanatorium recuperating from tuberculosis.

Travel Scrapbooks: Creating Albums of Your Trips and Adventures by Memory Makers Books. The photos and mementos from my four months travelling the world reside in a large box. Photos from our trips to New Zealand, Fiji, and our time in Australia live on the computer. Therefore, this book might come in handy.

God Is Dead by Ron Currie Jr. In this dystopian novel, God descends to Earth as a Dinka woman from Sudan and is murdered in Darfur. This sets the scene for the rest of the novel, short-story like chapters that reveal what happens in a post-God world. This debut novel sounds very Orwellian, and has certainly captured my eye.

Slummy Mummy by Fiona Neill. I saw this novel mentioned in Newsweek not too long ago in an article about the media focus of the 'tension' between working moms and stay-at-home moms. It's a story that chronicles the life of one not-so-organized SAHM mother of three.

A Woman in Jerusalem by A.B. Yehoshua. This NYT notable is already on my TBR list, but unfortunately my library does not have a copy.

3 comments:

Jeane said...

Thanks for sharing that list! I rarely pick up publications at the library anymore because I find way too many books in them that I don't have time to read. Several of these look very interesting!

Dewey said...

Whoa, God is Dead sounds trippy.

Do you notice any tension between SAHMs and working mothers, in real life? Because I never do, but I keep reading that it exists. I have both working friends and SAHM and they all seem to respect each other's decisions.

Nyssaneala said...

jeane - Book magazines and newsletters can certainly add a bit to Mt TBR!

dewey - Nope, I don't think tension between SAHM's and working moms exists as much as some writers/psychologists/whoever say it does. That was partially what the article was about that I read, that in real life there isn't really a problem.

Since this is my first child, this is my 1st exit from the paid working world, and I haven't encountered a single [working] person who finds my decision to be a SAHM problematic.