Sunday, December 9, 2007

In Memory

Grandpa Bill
March 7, 1924 - December 5, 2007

The past few months, as we were joyfully looking forward to the birth of our first child, I was also dealing with seeing the slow decline of a great man. My grandfather has been in poor health for years, suffering from congestive heart failure, but his will to survive always seemed to outweigh his physical health. Two months ago, things took a definitive turn for the worse, and ever since has been a waiting game.

Although he never had the opportunity to meet Maya, his first and only great-granddaughter (I am also his only grandchild), we were thankful that he lived long enough to know she was born happy and healthy, saw photos, and managed a few days of bragging to everyone who came to see him. Maya's middle name is the name of my grandmother, his wife. I know this naming made him very happy, and I am glad to have been able to bring him joy in the last days of his life, even if I could not be there in person.

My grandfather was my last remaining grandparent, and he was always a huge part of my life. Countless holidays were spent at his home, and we often shared birthday celebrations (our birthdays are 4 days apart). His funeral yesterday was humbling. I was amazed at the number of people that attended, yet I know my grandpa easily made friends and was kind-hearted to everyone he met. I know that he will be not be forgotten, and he will be dearly missed.

6 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I too am glad he at least was able to know you were naming your daughter after his wife. It sounds like he was a good man and that you have many happy memories to remember him by.

Wendy said...

Oh, I am deeply sorry for the loss of your Grandpa. My thoughts and prayers are with you. *hugs*

SuziQoregon said...

My sympathies to you and your family . . .

maggie moran said...

I'm very sorry. He looks like someone I would love spending a lot of time swapping stories with. [[[[hug]]]]

Marg said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. It is a blessing that he got to get some great grandpa bragging about your daughter.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Iliana said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Take care and sending you some hugs.