Tuesday, February 12, 2008

10 Signs A Book Is By Me Meme

Do I have a book lurking inside? I'd like to think so. Years ago, I made a list of 100 things I would like to accomplish in my life, and writing a book was listed amongst them. In fact, I plan on applying for grants to begin a non-fiction book in the somewhat near future. That book will be about the experiences of refugee women who have resettled in America. But, I'd rather not play along with this meme--thanks for tagging me Gautami!--with a non-fiction book in mind. Therefore, here are the top ten signs that a novel is written by me:

1. The lead character is a young woman, recently graduated from college.
2. The novel has an international setting, as it follows the young woman on her travels around the world when she has a difficult time finding a job after graduation.
3. There will be a hilarious scene involving the young woman and one of these high-tech washlet toilets in Japan (be warned, the man in this youtube video likes to swear):



4. Our young woman will visit Australia, China, Vietnam, Kenya, South Africa, India, Brazil, and Cuba. Countries I just happen to have visited myself.
5. There are scenes of quirky bar experiences in various countries.
6. During the course of the novel, she will pick up a few travel companions that will join her in her many adventures.
7. My novel is light-hearted, but explores some issues I find important, particularly poverty in developing countries.
8. My novel has a good editor to catch all of my grammatical mistakes.
9. It will not be a romantic novel. If made into a movie, it would be PG-13.
10. It will not have a sappy ending, and may leave the option open for subsequent books.

I now tag the following people:
Tanabata
Sharon
Wendy
Kathrin
Tag, you're it!

6 comments:

Iliana said...

Oh this is good. I do love a foreign setting and this one will have several! Just think of how great this will work when it's translated to film :)

Anonymous said...

I like the topic. After my heart.I would read your book! Thanks for doing this.

Would you like to do another tag created by me. Let me know.

Do check my blog! Click on my name here!

Nyssaneala said...

Iliana -I think this idea would just be an excuse for me to travel some more. :)

gautami - This is actually similar to a book idea I have been playing around with. If I ever get around to writing it (although my plans for a non-fic book come first!), I'll let you know. :)

Literary Feline said...

I would definitely be interested in reading your nonfiction book. And your fiction book should you ever decide to write that one too. :-)

Thanks for tagging me! I've already started thinking about my list for this one. :-)

Nyssaneala said...

wendy - Thanks! I look forward to reading your take on the meme.

tanabata said...

Haha! Had to laugh at #3. And all the travelling sounds fun. :)