Thursday, April 17, 2008

BTT - April 17

Booking Through Thursday

I’ve always wondered what other people do when they come across a word/phrase that they’ve never heard before. I mean, do they jot it down on paper so they can look it up later, or do they stop reading to look it up on the dictionary/google it or do they just continue reading and forget about the word?

It is only rarely that I stop in the middle of reading to look up a word. First, I try to figure out what it means by looking at the context. If that doesn't work, sometimes I will write it down to look it up later (I also do this when I come across a historical event I am not familiar with). It has to really peak my curiosity for me to follow through after writing it down. Most of the time, I'll just keep reading.

Out of the books that I have read recently, The Road by Cormac McCarthy generated a lot of visits to dictionary.com

4 comments:

Chrisbookarama said...

I keep reading too.

tanabata said...

No kidding about 'The Road'. I put sticky notes on some of them and looked them up afterwards.

Literary Feline said...

The big problem I have with not looking up an unfamiliar word immediately is that it seems pointless later since I have already moved on. Sometimes I'll still look a word up, but often times I end up forgetting if I don't look it up right away.

gautami tripathy said...

I found The Road an easy read!