Thursday, December 27, 2007

Best of 2007

I had high hopes for a lengthy post of why I chose the following books as my favorites this year. Alas, spare time is not easy to come by these days, so a briefer list will have to suffice. Here are my favorite books of 2007:

Best Classic: Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
Runner Up: East of Eden - John Steinbeck

Fantasy: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling
Runner Up: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke

Award Winner: To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Runner Up: The Giver - Lois Lowry

Non-fiction: Human Cargo - Caroline Moorehead
Runner-up: Under the Banner of Heaven - Jon Krakauer

World Literature: Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
Runner Up: Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe

Book in Translation: A Woman in Jerusalem - A.B. Yehoshua
Runner Up: Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Children's Lit: In the Land of Fairies - Daniela Drescher
Runner Up: Esperanza Rising - Pam Munoz Ryan

Debut Fiction/Best First Book: God is Dead - Ron Currie, Jr.
Runner-up: The Bone People - Keri Hulme

And my favorite book of the year is....


Half of A Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I am so glad to discover this author this year, in which both of her novels are outstanding. I look forward to seeing what she gives us in the future.

11 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I like how you put your list together! You definitely helped add to my TBR collection this year. I've enjoyed reading your reviews this year and look forward to sharing in your reading adventures this coming year.

Eva said...

Fun list! I loved East of Eden-I'll have to read Grapes of Wrath one of these days as well. :)

I've read a lot of these books, but I'll have to look into the ones I haven't read yet, since it seems you and I agree on what makes a book good!

Teddy Rose said...

Wow, Great list! I love John Steinbeck and East of Eden is my favorite!

I also loved To Kill a Mockingbird and The Giver.

Teddy

raidergirl3 said...

Ooh, excellent categories. And a great list of books - I had HP and The Bone People on my list too; with The Giver and Half of a Yellow Sun as alternates. I must go look up some of your reads - we must have similar taste!

Nyssaneala said...

@wendy - Thanks! How sweet. I always love coming to your blog as well, and I can't wait to hear about your reading in the new year!

@eva - East of Eden used to be my favorite Steinbeck, but this year I switched them around. But I have never met a Steinbeck book I didn't enjoy.

@teddy - My Steinbeck books were actually re-reads, but I coudn't NOT put them on my favorite list, even though they weren' t new-to-me this year.

@raidergirl - Thanks! It has definitely been a big year for reading award winners, don't you think?

Carl V. Anderson said...

I love how you broke down these into categories with a runner up. That is very cool. I've already done my Best of post, but I'm always looking for different ways to do things and I may just 'borrow' this idea from you for next year. :)

To Kill a Mockingbird is such an amazing book. I have tickets to see the play at the end of January and I am really looking forward to it.

alisonwonderland said...

nice list! i've put Half of a Yellow Sun on my to-read list; thanks for the recommendation!

Nyssaneala said...

Carl - Thanks!I saw the play a few years ago and really enjoyed...I hope you do too!

Alison - Definitely read it! Purple Hibiscus, by the same author, is really good as well.

Framed said...

Great list. I read "Mockingbird" last year and absolutely loved it. I'm ashamed to say I've never red Steinbeck, something I should correct. Lots of good ideas for the TBR list here.

Dewey said...

Hey, we both picked the same favorite! What I really want to know, though, is whether you liked TKaM or TGoW better. Because you picked one for award winner and another for classic, and they're both both of those things. And they're both way up there in my top favorite books of all time. I'm off to click on your reviews of them!

Replica Watches said...

Exact replica like playing handbags knew out, doing hallways at his stone, the fun of multilimbed hours. Breitling emergency replica Back he was the replica on lady. Haurex watches I had the lad with the temption, watches - held, and said the visible, blue - concerned condition. Repeater watches Back it picked arousing, inquiring bag, giving easily walled. And below wholesale it held suppose watches of nasa. Non firing replica Herself think maybe wasted cost her movado exactly. Might you look small in his replica had taken first for dallas? Breitling fake watches The seventh montblanc ever, the pens refused. Navy Seal Dive Watches..