Saturday, March 15, 2008

Mrs McGinty's Dead - Agatha Christie

Okay, so our weekend trip to Providence turned into a full-week trip! My hubby had two more interview offers, one in New Jersey and another in Springfield, MA, so we just got a back from an impromptu vacation in New England and New York! We have discovered that Maya travels wonderfully-taking after her parents- and we were able to stay with my brother-in-law right outside NYC, so we never had to drive more than 4 hours at a time. We had a wonderful time, although everyone is a little bit tired, and the amount of housework I now have to do is bigger than my Mt. TBR! I have a few books waiting to be reviewed, but I'll have to put most of them off until I catch up on things.


Title: Mrs. McGinty's Dead
Author: Agatha 
Christie
Year: 1952
Country: UK
Rating: 4 of 5
Pages: 238

First sentence: Hercule Poirot came out of the Vielle Grand'mere restaurant into Soho.

Interesting tidbit: The book was published on my birthday, March 3. Rather, I should say I was born on the day this book was published, since the book has been around much longer than I have!

It's been a while since I have read a Hercule Poirot mystery, so it was a welcome break from some of the more emotionally depressing books I have been reading lately. As always, Dame Agatha does not disappoint. This story find Hercule Poirot venturing into a small England village to investigate the death of elderly Mrs. McGuinty. A man is on death row, having been convicted of her murder, however the local police Superintendent is not entirely sure he is guilty. The book is filled with quite a few eccentric characters; it is a very entertaining read. Christie's writes this one in a style similar to the Miss Marple books rather than the previous Poirot mysteries I have read.

I have also finished reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, but I'm waiting to write my review until I have more time to sit down and think about what I want to say.

2 comments:

Joy said...

Okay...now you HAVE to sign up for the Anything Agatha Challenge!

Just a little nudge. :)

Nyssaneala said...

joy - In my mind I'm signed up, I just haven't gotten around to actually doing it! :) But you can definitely count me in.