Friday, June 6, 2008

BTT and Friday Fill-In - June 6


Have your book-tastes changed over the years? More fiction? Less? Books that are darker and more serious? Lighter and more frivolous? Challenging? Easy? How-to books over novels? Mysteries over Romance?


My book tastes not only change over the years, they change depending on my daily mood! I tend to read the same amount of non-fiction and fiction. In the non-fiction corner, my tastes have changed a little bit. I used to read a lot more dense books about international relations, current events, etc. While I still read some of these, I have started to read more memoirs (often with an international or non-American focus), and books about different world religions. Parenting books populate my TBR list, whereas 10 years ago it was psychology books. I also have started reading more books about writers, artists, and historical figures or time periods.

In regards to fiction, I am definitely reading more books in translation than I used to, and branching out from my preference for Western, Indian, Japanese and South American literature. I am discovering some wonderful authors from the Middle East and Africa, which motivate me to seek out more authors from these geographical areas. I am starting to read mysteries again as my form of light reading, but my choice of authors has changed. Ten+ years ago it was Dean Koontz and Stephen King. Although I still enjoy King, I am finding pleasure in Agatha Christie, Sue Grafton, Boris Akunin, and Alexander McCall Smith. I never read a strictly 'romance' novel.

 
1. Idle hands are taking a much-deserved break.
2. I love to wash my hair in the shower.
3. My favorite time of the day is when Maya wakes up, rolls over, and smiles at me.
4. The last tea I drank was freshly made Rooibos Blood Orange iced tea with cloves and cinnamon. I just made a jug today in an effort to finish up some of my loose teas before we move!
5. I like to drink cold drinks in the Summer: homemade iced tea and lemonade, or chilled white wine.
6. My mother always said don't take the Lord's name in vain.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I’m looking forward to having a nice dinner, tomorrow my plans include going to a friend's baby shower and Sunday, I want to read!

1 comment:

Literary Feline said...

My reading has evolved over the years. I think I have branched out more. I still go through phases now and then--and that is always changing in a way--but in another, it's just a part of a pattern, you could say.

Your tea sounds so good! I hope you have a good weekend.