Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - by Haruki Murakami (B+) 607pgs.

The first thing I thought about this book was that it is not what I expected. It's a crazy story that takes you all sorts of places that you may or may not want to go. I liked it.
Admittedly, his style is not for everyone. You are left with unanswered questions, and events that happen without a whiff of explanation. He uses a style that is similar, but not the same, as magical realists. Someone he manages to keep the story slow-paced, yet a page-turner at the same time. It is truly a story filled with paradoxes. I definitely plan to check out some more of his books.

An Amazon reviewer that sums up my experience perfectly: "I don't know where I went, but I loved the journey."

No comments: